Friday, April 1, 2011

Comedy Central…Why so serious?



On the left is the previous Comedy Central Logo. On the right is the new logo introduced in 2011. Which logo looks more like a network that is home to the likes of Jon Stewart and South Park? It's certainly not the latter. A good logo should be suitable for the company's product and audience. There is nothing distinctive about this logo, nor does it effectively convey anything about the network. When I see the new logo, I do not think of laughter, I think of a copyright symbol. In fact, when I first saw the new Comedy Central logo on an ad, I thought the ad was for Comcast!



Comparisons have also been made to Chanel, which is an upscale fragrance!

All of these logos use a "c" in a geometric san serif font and none of them convey humor (which is fine for the others since they do not emphasize comedy). The new logo resembles an internet provider more than it does a network that airs re-runs of Futurama, and that is a joke (I suppose this logo has a punchline afterall).

No comments:

Post a Comment